Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind

 First off I want you all to know that this could possibly be the best series ever written. I have been reading these books for about 3 or 4 years (it has been a slow and steady process). Terry Goodkind is an amazing author with a power in prose. I recommend this series to readers who love fantasy, amazing characters, and heart wrenching adventures. So without further ado, here is my review:
 As you can see from the image it's an 11 book series, 12 if you count the prequel which is Debt of Bones (all the books are in order on the image). The first book came out in 1994. Most of the books are also on average about 700+ pages. I know that's a lot but honestly you become so engrossed in them that the pages don't matter. 
 This series is about Richard Cypher, a woods guide living in a small village. He lives a simple but content life, until one day he sees a woman being chased by a band of men. Unable to just ignore the situation he chases after them and fights them off with her help. After that instance his life was changed forever. Secrets of his past were revealed and his perception of everything that he thought he knew was shattered. The books detail his fight to find the truth in the lies and to save people from themselves or from others. 
 I don't want to say more about it because saying anything more would give away all of the amazing surprises that lay ahead. What I will say is that you will undoubtedly fall in love with the characters as much for their flaws as for their strengths. They are so well developed that the reader can actually connect with them. I personally have developed a crush on Richard. 
 The story plot gets so complex and you get a feeling that a very tight knit ball is unraveling more and more and more with every book. Gookind has managed to make a seemingly normal world spin into utter chaos. He also manages to put the hero as well as other characters in impossible situations and you are just so captivated and utterly amazed on how they get out of them. 
 What I really love about the series is that it has everything: love, suspense, action, fantasy, magic, reality, and shows the power of the human spirit. Also, you know how people say that Twilight or Romeo and Juliet have a really good love story? Yeah, no. There is no greater love story (in my eyes) than that of Richard and Kahlan (if you read the series you will understand). So that's something for the readers who love a good romance tale as well. 
 I have all but declared my undying love for this series in this review, but it deserves it. I love it! I hope that this has been just vague enough to get anyone interested in reading the series. If not and you still would like to know more about it please leave a comment and I will respond. 

P.S.- Thank you all for being patient with me for my postings, I will try to post more often.
P.P.S.- If any of you have read any of the books in this series please tell me what you think about it/them.


Other Books by Terry Goodkind
- The Omen Machine
- The Law of Nines

"Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true." 

No comments:

Post a Comment